How to Install Klipper on Creality Ender 3 S1: Config and Setup

Hi, first of all thank you for the awesome guide to install Klipper for the Ender 3 S1. I managed to do every step including the Pressure Advance , Z-Offset and Flow Rate. But I still have some hugh problems with overhangs. Im using your settings for ideamaker. I feel like the cooling of the Printer is way to low. But when I look at your test Print of the Boats the overhangs looks pretty good. Did you had any problems with bad overhangs like my pictures or do you know a solution to get better results for me.
I made some picture of my boat and calib Cube.
WhatsApp Image 2022-06-23 at 10.46.18 PM (1)
WhatsApp Image 2022-06-23 at 10.46.18 PM
WhatsApp Image 2022-06-24 at 6.37.31 PM
WhatsApp Image 2022-06-24 at 6.37.32 PM (1)
WhatsApp Image 2022-06-24 at 6.37.32 PM

Depends on the filament you are using. I would recommend lowering the print speed a bit, so the overhangs have more time to cool.
Part cooling can be improved with a 5015 radial fan and a dual-head duct, so you might also want to look into that.

When I took down the speed it looked perfect with the original fan. I tried a new fan system with an 5015 and now I can print with 100mm/s and it looks super. So Thank you.

Hey there, what fan setup did you end up using? Thanks!

https://www.printables.com/de/model/148897-ender-3-s1-twin-jet-5015-fan-duct

This is the one Iā€™m using.

1 Like

Hey there. I have the S1 Pro with the F1 chip (yes, I checked, early printer) and I have issues with the setup. What I have done:

• Compiled the firmware for the printer using the S1 normal setup, STM32F103, 28KB, USART1 PA10/PA9.
  • Put it on the root of a recently formatted SD card, Iā€™ve tried all sort of different filenames due to marlinā€™s pickiness with filenames, but I tried firmware.bin and others.
  • Updated the firmware and something to updated as the screen is black with some dots on after boot.
  • I use the official printer.cfg for the S1/S1 Pro from the klipper github.

I just get:

mcu ā€˜mcuā€™: Unable to connect
Once the underlying issue is corrected, use the
ā€œFIRMWARE_RESTARTā€ command to reset the firmware, reload the
config, and restart the host software.
Error configuring printer

What did I miss?

Are you sure the USB cable used also has data?
I also recommend double-checking the USB ID.

I tried a bunch of USB-C cables, but none I could guarantee supported data so I went out a bought a couple. No luck with the new cable either, and it does support data. I double checked the USB ID and itā€™s definitively USART1 PA10/PA9.

Turns out the issue was that the PI 4 USB ports are unreliable and requires a restart in some cases. Power cycled both the printer and the PI and it seems to be fine now. Thanks for the great article and help! Perhaps worth mentioning in the article. If you are unable to do ā€œls /dev/serial/by-id/*ā€ on the pi, a reboot of it might be in order.

First of all a big THANK YOU!
The S1 Pro is my first 3d Printer and with your help i have awesome Prints coming out of this Machine.

I hava a big question and hope you could help me.
In the printer.cfg i canā€™t find any TMC configs, so i think it runs in the standalone mode.

Do you think you could help me to set up the printer.cfg so i or maybe others can adjust the steppers a little bit more with your help? I really want to set the run_current because the steppers get extremely hot even with passive cooling on them. I want to do a print for 37 Hours and i am not really sure i want to try it.

On many Sites it says we have the TMC2208 but i cant figure out how to find the UART Ports and so onā€¦

I have a Ender-3 S1 Plus with STM32F401 chip. Can I install Klipper?

Hello,

Let me start by saying thank you so much for such aa detailed and amazing guide. It has helped me so much not only get involved in klipper but learn so much more about my printer and what it can do so i cant thank you enough. Now everything seems to be working great i just have one question. Upon doing a corner test level print i noticed that my print is not center. Its a bit off to the left and in my cura slicer it seems to show center. So i was wondering because i know everyone machine is different do i need to shift some settings in the .cfg or is that gonna be a cura thing? Thanks again

Nathan

haha sorry for asking i just should of rtfm it was right in front of my face. I ended up making sure the plate was square which it was and then i squared up some lines center. So if your ever interested the offset i have for the bltouch is x_offset: -30 y_offset: -41. I also had to adjust the settings in cura too but everybody machine is different though on how it acts so but this got me more center of a print to the accuracy of what klipper aloud me to do. Thanks again.
image3
image1
image0

Trying to follow the guide. when installing mainsail, there is no mainsailos-wpa-supplicant.txt. There is a WiFi-README.txt.

Due to changes in Raspberry Pi OS, which MainsailOS is based on,
there is no longer a MainsailOS-wpa-supplicant.txt available.

How do I setup a (new) network on my Pi ?

As described in the original Raspberry Pi OS documentation.
See blah blah blah

hmmm

Iā€™m trying to install it. I have a Bigtreetech CB1-PI4B with kilpper installed on it, it run, but unable to connect to printerā€¦ MCU unable to connectā€¦ I tried to flash the printer board, I think it works, but not sure. The screen is showing the creality logo. Maybe this is good? It makes 2 days I try a lot of things wonā€™t no successā€¦ HELP!!