Complete novice questions - 2 color printing?

I’m scheduled to receive my new TwoTrees BLUE-5 printer today. As one of my 1st projects after setup/shakedown, I’d like to print a logo with a black base and gray lettering.

On advice from this site, I’m trying IdeaMaker as a slicer.

I have zero knowledge of 3d printing, what is the best way to do the filament change at a precise point in the print job? is this something the slicer inserts in the g-code? or do I just print two models, one on top of the last? No clue how to do this. Thanks!

1 Like

You should probably be able to change your filament using the “Filament Settings” tab. so print on a new layer by changing a couple of settings.
u will need to set up the print job to pause at the desired layer for the filament change. You can do this by inserting a “Pause at Height” command in the G-code.
Here’s how to do it:
Click on the “Advanced Settings” tab in IdeaMaker.
Click on the “G-code” tab. Find the line that says “Layer Change G-code”.
In the text box next to “Layer Change G-code”, insert the following command:
M0 ; Pause print
Replace “Layer Change G-code” with “Layer 5 G-code” (or whichever layer you want to pause at). Save your settings and export the G-code file for printing.
i hope this helps, lemme know how it goes

https://3dprinterchat.com/switching-3d-print-filaments-during-workflow/

1 Like

To change filament colors at a precise point in your 3D print using IdeaMaker as your slicer, please follow these steps:

Design your model. Ensure that your 3D model is divided into two parts: the black base and the gray lettering. You can do this in your 3D modeling software.
Load the model into IdeaMaker. Import your 3D model into IdeaMaker.
Assign different extruders. In IdeaMaker, you can assign different extruders to different parts of your model. Assign one extruder to the black base and another extruder to the gray lettering. This will tell the printer when to switch filaments.
Generate G-Code. After assigning extruders, generate the G-Code for your print in IdeaMaker.
Insert a filament change script. The slicer will automatically insert a filament change script into the G-Code at the precise layer where the color change should occur. This script typically involves pausing the print, moving the print head to a safe position, and retracting the old filament. Follow the on-screen prompts in IdeaMaker to set this up.
Load filaments. When the printer pauses for the filament change, follow your printer’s manual to unload the old filament and load the new one.
Resume print. After changing the filament, the printer will resume the print job, now using the new filament color.
By following these steps, you can achieve a multi-color 3D print with a black base and gray lettering using your TwoTrees BLUE-5 printer and IdeaMaker slicer.