New member with a project

Hello
A couple years ago I bought an Anycubic 3D printer.
I made the little owl that is the test/setup figure and I have not done anything since then.
I tried to get some help from a friend but his answer was “You should learn how to do it yourself”.
So I am here to get some help.
The item I wish to make is very simple. It is basically a cylinder with a flange at the top to keep it from sliding to far over the sunshade it has to fit over.
It will be a Solar Eclipse Filter Material holder.
I bought a roll of ABS material to make it out of.

I am familiar with CadCam as I am a retired machinist and I use to have CNC milling machines and made aluminum parts for the film industry.
But how to get my design into actual code that my Anycubic printer will under stand is where I am held up. Many of the questions I answered to become a member here I had to guess at, as I don’t really know what software (etc.) I need to get to do the job.

I am eager to learn and start.
Any help/support would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry if I have put this in the wrong category.
Greg

Hi there, Greg. This is Alberto from Spain.

The first thing would be to turn your CAD design into a “*.STL” file that you could load in the slicer of prefference. A slicer is a piece of software that creates a gcode file, which is basically a text file that is then sent to the printer to start printing. The gcode file is the code you are talking about. The code the printer will “understand”.

A slicer needs a “*.STL” file, a 3d model previosly designed in any of the 3d tools available; Thinkercad, Fusion 360, 3ds Max 2025, Blender… there are many !

And there are also some slicers that you could use; Orca Slicer, PrusaSlicer, ideaMaker, Ultimaker Cura… I advice you to use Orca Slicer.

1 Like

Thank you.
Does the cad file have to be a 3D model or can it just be a 3D wire frame?
I’ll start reading about the items you mentioned today.

Thanks again.

The “*.STL” file is a 3d model. Most of the 3d software out there ables you to save as STL format and this is what you then, import in the slicer so, the CAD model has to be a 3d model instead.

1 Like

Looking at the thumb drive I received with the Anycubic I see that they supply a slicer program.
I guess I will need to find a cad program to make the STL file.
Here are notes about the contents of the thumb drive.

Anycubic Kobra

Slicing Software
Cura Ultimaker_Cura-4.2.1-Win64

The latest Cura version is version 5.7.1 that you can get for free from the Ultimaker website but, as I said, I advice you to use Orca Slicer.

The “*.STL” is a 3d model. You need to design the part you want printed in a 3d program and export it as STL.

Ok
Downloaded Orca Slicer 2.0 for win 11

Great !

Now, design your part in some 3d software and export as STL.

If there is any doubt, do not hesitate to ask and I will do my best to assist you.

Started up my old cadcam program (Mastercam) and drew a wire frame of the part and exported it as a DXF file and brought it in to Freecad, but can’t figure out how to export it as an STL file?

I may be wrong but I think that CAD software has nothing to do with 3d modeling software. CAD is for the user to draw plans and you need to use a 3d modeling app such as SOLIDWORKS, for example. I use 3ds Max from Autodesk.

The part need to be done in a 3d software from scratch. I do not think that your CAD files are going to be of any use in here.

Darn
I use to do mold work with it so it has the ability to draw in 3D, but is an old program that I have not updated since I retired.

I have just seen that there are some DXF to STL converters online. You may give them a try…

Tried one of those and it didn’t seem to work. I think I have the part drawn out with Freecad and I now think I have an STL file.
Starting to mess with Orca

OK, if ya need help just ask.

Here is what the part is supposed to look like.

That is very easy to model.

If you tell me about measures, I can do it for you.

Ok, thanks that would be great.
These are the measurements in mm.
I originally did the drawing in inches but had to start over and do it in mm.
Another problem was none of the slicers I looked at had a listing for my old Anycubic Kobra (the original model)

Overall height 50mm
OD 132.08mm Diameter
ID 127mm Diameter
Hole in the bottom 114.3mm Diameter
All Wall thicknesses 2.54mm

For an Anycubic Kobra using ABS

Ok, no problem. I can do it for you but I agree with your friend. If you learnt to do it yourself you would be not dependent.

Of course you are both right.

When I try to open this file in Orca I get this error message.
Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Error
Relative extruder addressing requires resetting the extruder position at each layer to prevent loss of floating point accuracy. Add “G92 E0” to layer_gcode.
Jump to (before layer change_gcode)